Serving as a critical part of infrastructure for over a century this now defunct subway lies abandoned under its city street. The primary portion of the subway was an aqueduct originally constructed to cross the Genesee River. Constructed between 1836-1842 it was in use until 1917 when the Erie Canal was rerouted. For the next 10 years, the Rochester Industrial and Rapid Transit Railway (RSB) was constructed with the first passenger car service running in 1927. In operation, for nearly 3 decades the last passenger service was on Saturday, June 30th, 1956. In the following years, it was used for various freight and transit services until 1996 after the local newspaper ceased use for distribution.

 

Constructed in 1955 upon an artificial lake Camp Haccamo served mentally and physical handicapped children throughout Monroe County. Built and operated by Monroe Rotary Club the camp heavily relied on private donations. At a capacity of 300, the summer program was offered free of charge to those in need. With a major sponsor pulling annual funding in 2008, the site was closed and combined with another camp 20 miles south. Abandoned in 2009, it seems as though they just picked up and left leaving nearly all contents behind.  After a fire was set in a garage over the summer of 2016, the site was demolished in December 2016.

 

Sitting riverside in rural New York this school was the area's first major high school. With construction finished the school opened in 1929 welcoming its first students. Only 12 students graduated the first year, attendance was soon on the rise, prompting 2 additions in the 1940's with a final addition being added in 1956. A little over a decade later the school was converted to serve only elementary students and would remain so until its closing in 2002.

 

A major part of WWI & WWII history this factories fate is currently tied up in court battles. Failing to be accepted as a national landmark due to its state of disrepair, the local outcry is for its demolition. With groundbreaking in 1921, the factory opened its doors to a large immigrant workforce in 1923. One of the larger support sites in a 26 factory chain empire, at its peak, the company employed more than 20,000 employees. A failed OSHA inspection in 1985 is the lastest date on record, but other reports suggest a closure date between 1983-1984.

 

Visiting on two occasions, this house has to be one of my favorite to date. Sitting in upstate New York, property records show this house was constructed on 240 wooded acres in 1876. With forgotten furniture of decades past, this home sits abandoned on a dirt road on the edge of town. With little history know tax records last payment was made in 2003. 

 

Built as a model home in 2005 this house now sits vacant in Central New York. With an original price tag of more than a million dollars, it was discounted like a Black Friday sale with the last recorded asking price less than 40% of the original asking price. With cheap materials and poor craftsmanship, it was like shopping in the discount section of 5,000 square foot homes. Pulled from the market in 2013 this 5 bedroom house now sits condemned past any reasonable point of repair. 

 

Left to rust, this 1961 Chevrolet Biscayne has been forgotten. Equipped with a 235 ci straight 6, and a 2-speed Powerglide it has been many years since this Chevy was on the road. With an Ermine White exterior and turquoise interior, it was a popular color combination for the year. With a vin number unrecognizable its unclear when the car was abandoned in the thick forests of upstate New York. 

 

Proposed in December of 1919, ground breaking began one month later with construction completed in 1912. Erected high upon the hilltops in western New York, this tuberculosis hospital was built to serve the City of Buffalo.  Being placed in a serene location, this offered natural healing remedies. The primary prescription for healing was fresh air and sun rays. The facility closed in 1960 only to reopen several months later as a state mental hygiene facility. At a capacity of 420 residents, it closed in 1996, when the state no longer supported institutional treatment.